Gandaki Medical College
Teaching Hospital & Research Centre (P) Ltd.


Gyneacology / OBS Department


The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at GMCH teaches MBBS students, imparts medical training to nurses and interns. It manages maternal and child health welfare services. It works as a tertiary level health care service provider.

The key services of the department of OBG are:

  • Obstetric health check-up
  • Gynaecological health check-up
  •  Routine and high risk antenatal care
  •  Major and minor gynaecological surgeries.
  •  Ultrasonography
  •  Screening procedures for cancer cervix
  •  Infertility detection, counseling at primary level, intervention for infertility management
  •  Health education regarding family planning and STD
  •  Family planning procedures
  •  Antenatal and intranatal foetal surveillance
  •  Management of labour for high risk & low risk pregnancy in line with latest recommended protocol.


We have 100 beds allotted for our department out of 547 beds in our hospital. We have seven regular full time working faculties in our department. Dr Malati Tripathi, Dr Chandika pandit, Dr Anjana K. C., Dr Annu sherchan, Dr Reecha shrestha, Dr Rubina Tamrkar & Dr Tika Gurung  comprise the whole team. We have three medical officers actively helping in our daily departmental activities.

OPD & IPD Services: 

On the average, we have regular OPD turn out of around 120 to 130 patients per day. Out of which 60% cases are new entries and 40% are the follow up cases. Out of this around 60% cases are obstetrical and the rest 40% are gynaecological cases. Bed occupancy in our department is around 80-90% per day.


We have a separate Operation theatre room allotted for our department which runs every day. We have specialized trained man powers in labour room and maternity department. Total number of operations performed in our dept is around 40 per week including both major & minor cases. Among major operations we do regular abdominal hysterectomy, vaginal hysterectomy,  pelvic organ prolapse repair, myomectomy, laparotomy for gynaecological carcinoma and other gynaecological indications. Besides this we do regular emergency and planned cesarean section  operations. The number of normal delivery is around 8-10 per day.

Research Activities:

we do regular clinical research activities in our department and publish our results in the college Journal “J-GMC-Nepal”. We have regular teaching and academic activities in our department. We have weekly CME activities in our department with special view to train & update our medical officers and interns.